Whether you have suffered an injury or live with pain, managing pain usually hinges on pain medication. The problem with pain medication is that it masks pain without providing any healing benefits. Our doctors believe in all-natural pain management and injury recovery. We offer results-driven, non-invasive physical therapy services to people living in Myrtle Beach and surrounding areas.
Understanding Your Muscles
Understanding the functions of your muscles helps to understand the importance of strengthening them.
You have three types of muscles in your body: smooth muscle, cardiac muscle, and skeletal muscle. The smooth muscle in your body lines the inside of blood vessels and organs, such as the stomach. Your cardiac muscle, located only in your heart, stimulates its own contractions that form your heartbeat. The skeletal muscles are attached to bones. When you contract and release these muscles, this action causes the movement of the bones; for example, activities such as running, stretching, sitting, and even swallowing involve your skeletal muscles. In this article, we will be referring to your skeletal muscles.
The main functions of your skeletal muscles are:
The Importance of Strengthening Your Muscles
Strengthening your muscles through physical therapy is an integral part of our treatment. Your muscles work with your bones, joints, and connective tissue to keep everything aligned and working correctly. When your muscles have weakened through aging, illness, or injury, they cannot properly do their job. Poor mobility, stability, and posture can cause further damage, weakness, and pain.
Our Physical Therapy Treatments
Our physical therapy treatments help maintain and restore proper movement and function. We offer several techniques designed to assist people of all ages and physical abilities in leading healthier, more active lives.
We consider the physical challenges of each patient and develop physical therapy treatments designed to suit your needs, whether it is for rehabilitation or prevention of injuries and pain.
Our Physical therapy treatment involves the following:
- A comprehensive examination
- A diagnosis and treatment plan
- A discussion of what outcomes are expected during and following treatment
- Implementation of treatment
- Recommendations and instruction on home exercises and self-management
We often take a multi-disciplinary approach to treatment. Our treatments are hands-on, using non-invasive manipulation, movement, and exercises to encourage healing and improve flexibility, strength, and motion. Your physical therapy treatment plan can include:
- Chiropractic care and adjustments to restore structural alignment using gentle manipulation to improve function and alleviate pain.
- Massage therapy to manipulate your muscular, nervous, and circulatory systems, targeting specific muscles, connective tissue, tendons, ligaments, and joints to improve mobility and reduce pain.
- Physiotherapy using targeted exercises to improve strength, flexibility, and mobility and reduce pain.
- Corrective exercises performed both under supervision of your physiotherapist and at home.
Our Physical Rehabilitation Center
Our physical rehab center offers a list of services under one roof. We can assist with many neurological, neuromusculoskeletal, cardiovascular, and respiratory issues. We can also help with recovery from injuries and the following:
- Pain management and relief
- Back pain
- Rehabilitation from surgery, injury, and illness
- Neck pain
- Shoulder pain
- Hip pain
- Joint pain
- And more
The Benefits of Physical Therapy
Physical rehabilitation and therapies offer many benefits, including:
- Reduces or even eliminates pain
- Provides a solution to help avoid surgery
- Improves mobility whether you are having issues standing, walking, or moving
- Strengthens weakened parts of the body and improves gait and balance
- Reduces risk for sports-related injuries using prevention exercise programs
- Improves balance and helps prevent falls
- Reduces or even eliminates symptoms of dizziness or vertigo
- Helps manage diabetes, including exercises to control blood sugar and reduce symptoms such as sensation in the feet and legs
- Helps manage arthritis
- Speeds up recovery from joint replacement surgery
- Helps clear fluid in the lungs
- Assists with a healthier, more comfortable pregnancy and post-partum care
If you live with pain, challenged mobility, and a limited range of movement, we can assist with an individualized treatment plan to improve your quality of life. Our Physical Therapist, Scott Floyd, is ready to service you. Contact us to book an appointment today at our Myrtle Beach rehab center and get on the road to recovery.
Craig Strickland, DC
Carolina Rehab & Physical Medicine Center