One of the most common physical pains every American feels is back pain. Experts agree this is because many people spend long hours sitting or standing in bad positions. While there is no question that you have to stand correctly when lining up at a store or sit properly when eating at a luxurious restaurant, you can do pretty much anything – including sitting and standing any way you want – when you are at home.
Apparently, many people find comfort and relaxation when they slouch or sit comfortably at their favourite couch after the long day at work or at school. Although this is true, it is also true that this incorrect posture you are practicing when at home also affects your back and your spine. And, often, it is the cause of the pain you feel at your back. What’s worse is that, spinal pain could lead to pain in other parts of your body. If left untreated, it could eventually cause other diseases and disorders to develop.
How to treat back pain
You can take medications to relieve the pain in your back, but to completely eliminate it, you will need to undergo chiropractic treatment. This type of treatment includes manipulating your back and spinal discs to release muscle tension and correct your posture. Chiropractors believe having bad posture is the primary cause of the pain in your back. Thus, they try to correct your misaligned spinal discs through chiropractic treatment.
Aside from this, your chiropractor will also ask you to implement changes in your lifestyle and diet. You will need to include regular exercises in your routine, sit and stand for shorter amounts of time and less frequently during the day or night. If you are smoking, you would be advised to stop. You will also be advised to drink less alcohol every day and include healthy meals in your diet. These all work together along with your regular chiropractic sessions to help improve your posture and spine alignment and, thus, eliminate the pain in your back.
How to avoid common back pain
To help you avoid feeling pain in your back, here are some useful tips from the experts.
1. Sit like angels – This applies to when you are sitting down on your desk chair. Your knees should be at right angles when you sit down. Your desk chair should have the proper height for your comfort and convenience.
2. Keep your back straight – Do this for most of the time when you sit down anywhere you are. If you cannot do it for the entire time you are sitting, do it for most of the time you are sitting. Your shoulders should also be held back. Remember that you have to feel comfortable in this position. Otherwise, you will hurt your back more.
3. Keep your feet on the floor – This is necessary to keep your balance when you sit down. Planting your feet on the floor is what will help you balance your weight and, most importantly, keep your back straight for a longer time.
4. Adjust your car seat – Although you might think it is difficult to sit in the correct position as you drive your car, you need to think again. Because there are ways to sit correctly inside a car. And for this, you need to adjust your car seat. Make sure that when you sit down, your knees are at the same level with your hips. Place a small cushion at your lower back for more comfort. Sit up straight always.
5. Distribute your body’s weight evenly – When you are sitting down or standing, remember to put our body’s weight throughout your body. Do not put your weight in only one part of your body. Help your body carry your weight by distributing it properly.
6. Move at least every 30 minutes – Sitting or standing too long while in the same position is one of the primary causes of back pain. That is why experts highly recommend moving at least every 30 minutes. It can be a quick walk in your garden, a trip to the bathroom, or a walk around the block.
7. Sleep while maintaining the shape of your back – It is important to sleep in a position where you are able to maintain the shape of your back. You can place a rolled towel under your lower back to keep its shape. If you want to sleep sideways, do so but not in a fetal-like position as this only bends your spine in an unnatural direction.
Need help with your back pain? Call Carolina Rehab and Physical Medicine now and speak with one of our experts.