Chiropractic treatment is becoming more and more popular among athletes, particularly runners. Experts say chiropractic care helps improve an athlete’s joint movement and mobilization; and when coupled with the right physical therapy, it efficiently enhances one’s strength and coordination.
Aside from focusing on the movement of joints, however, sports trained chiropractors should also incorporate effective soft tissue repair in their treatment plans, most especially when treating patients with running injuries. In this type of joint treatment, the chiropractor needs to be able to ensure the joints move correctly and in coordination with the soft tissue.
Runners who seek chiropractic treatment
The first step of chiropractic treatment for runners is a thorough evaluation of their bio-mechanics, which include the following:
- General and overall movements
- Ability to stand up
- Arching of each foot
- Alignment of knees
- Alignment of hips
The chiropractor will then design a treatment plan based on the results of the evaluation. This treatment plan will focus on the needs of the client, where improvement, healing, and treatment are necessary. There is a wide range of different techniques a good chiropractor will use to develop each of the patient’s weaknesses, help heal the injuries, and strengthen the body to avoid being injured easily.
Types of chiropractic treatment for running injuries
- Graston Technique – Used for scar tissues on the surface level, which release adhesions and affect efficient movement. Involves breaking down the scar tissues using handheld stainless steel tools.
- Active Release Technique – Combination of massage and stretching, moving the joints in different motions while applying deep tension. Used to treat adhesions deep in muscles. Also includes working the muscles through different techniques to break down deep scar tissues and to enhance correct flexibility. Perfect for hip injuries as well as it helps elongate muscle fibers to make them more pliable and healthier.
- Electrical Muscle Stimulation – Used to complement other techniques by contracting surface muscles to help release tension; thus, allowing the other techniques to proceed smoothly and effectively.
Being fit and ultimately healthy are the primary goals of athletes. It not only helps them be able to perform their sport efficiently, but also helps them prevent injury, which may damage how they move and perform if not treated appropriately. And this is why more and more athletes, especially runners, are turning to chiropractic treatment to help treat their injuries and become better and stronger athletes.
Carolina Wellness and Rehab offers a wide range of chiropractic treatment techniques for athletes and runners.Call them now to inquire about their services.
Carolina Wellness & Reha
1211 48th Ave N Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
(843) 449-1000 carolinawellnessandrehab.com
Providing you with chiropractic treatment designed specifically for your needs.